First Electric Cooperative is an electric distribution cooperative that was incorporated in 1937. It energized its first power lines in 1938 near Jacksonville, Ark. Today, First Electric Cooperative serves more than 70,000 member accounts throughout parts of seventeen counties in central and southeast Arkansas. It owns and maintains over 9,700 miles of distribution power lines and 39 substations. It is Arkansas largest distribution cooperative and one of the 30 largest of the nation's 1,000 electric cooperatives. First Electric Cooperative's member account base is 95% residential, 3% commercial and industrial and 2% agricultural. First Electric Cooperative is organized as a nonprofit business, and returns capital credits to its member-owners. It is headquartered in Jacksonville, and operates four other full service offices in Benton, Heber Springs, Perryville and Stuttgart, Ark.