The First State Bank of Livingston is an early-chartered bank of the Texas State Banking System. It was originally organized in 1910 as Guaranty State Bank and was renamed with its present name in 1925. The bank's present location at the corner of Polk Street and Jackson Avenue in Livingston is its third location.
During the intervening years, First State Bank has functioned as an important part of the business and cultural scene of Livingston and Polk County.
The growth of the bank, both in assets and in its physical plant, has mirrored the growth of its East Texas trade area. The bank has played a key role in the transition of its trade area from a rural retail sales, agricultural, and timber-based economy to the present regional trade center.
In 1995, First State Bank opened its first branch in Shepherd, Texas, about 15 miles south of the main bank location.